›

Boinx with Panasonic HC-X900 via BlackMagic UltraStudio

Hi there,
I'm having issue using the Panasonic HC-X900 with Boinx.
I have set the camera to 1080P (only option for Progressive is 50 frames).
Connected the camera to the BlackMagic UltraStudio and BlackMagic Media Express detects it as both 1080p25 and 1080i50, which is logically fine!

Problem is that when in Boinx the image I see from the camera is definitely Interlaced (I see the horizontal lines when I move in front of the camera).

I checked the settings of the Panasonic and I realised that the setting for HDMI can be 1080p or 1080i.

If I set this to 1080p (which is the format I should be using for Boinx to work), then Boinx doesn't detect the camera and shows me a black screen. If I change the HDMI setting of the Panasonic to 1080i then Boinx sees the camera, but it picks it up as Interlaced.

Any idea what I could do to get this set up to work?
It would be much appreciated!!!

Thank you in advance,
kind regards,
Emanuel

Comments

• Hi again!
    Sadly I found the answer. The BlackMagic UltraStudio Mini Recorder CANNOT handle 1080p50 but only 1080p25. Bummer... I only just bought the Mini Recorder just for this purpose!
    Guess I have no hope?
    I see that the MiniRecorder has an option to convert Interlaced to Progressive (1080PsF) but I haven't been able to make it work.
    Any advice?
    Cheers

• Little update for anyone interested. I almost found a solution!

I set the camera to 1080i at 50 frames (only option...) THEN activate a feature they call "Digital Cinema", meant to replicate a cinematic effect. What I found out it does is cut the frame rate in half, effectively giving me 1080i25.

Then I set the BlackMagic UltraStudio Mini Recorder for 1080PsF which gives me Progressive video.

This means that Boinx is finally receiving Progressive Video (yeah), so no horizontal lines, but clearly it's not receiving enough frames (I'm assuming it's getting 1080p at 12.5 fps). Basically the video footage showing in Boinx is too slow!!!

Also, the picture is a lot darker than what I see from the camera...

Still working on this, hopefully someone out there has some genius idea to make this work!

Cheers