›

Can I overlay webcam on top of game footage?

With BoinxTV Home is it possible to overlay a webcam source on top of a streaming game video source?

Based on the description of only allowing one camera for BoinxTV Home, I assume the answer is no, but wanted to confirm.

If it is not possible, is there a solution that can be used in conjunction with BoinxTV Home that would provide this capability? Otherwise is there a similar product that fulfills this need on OS X at a similar price point to BoinxTV Home that you would recommend looking at?

Thank you!

Jeff

Comments

• Yes, thats true: BoinxTV Home offers one single live video source only. If you need to have multiple cameras or live video sources you have to purchase the full version.
  • Hi Achim,

Thank you for the timely response.

As BoinxTV Home does not support this, are you aware of any other vendors who provide a software solution for two cameras at something around the $199 price point (this is a personal purchase).

Full BoinxTV looks wonderful, but it is not in my personal budget range at this time (which is perfectly fine).

I'm also looking into ways to do the overlay ahead of getting the stream to BoinxTV Home.

Thank you again for your help.
  • you can try camtwist or manycam. I'm not sure if they do overlays or pip but if they do you can then ouput that video to boinxtv as a source & do the rest of the overlays...

I know final cut pro x will do it too but it's not for live streaming though, it's more of a post production tool...
  • As BoinxTV Home does not support this, are you aware of any other vendors who provide a software solution for two cameras at something around the $199 price point (this is a personal purchase).

Full BoinxTV looks wonderful, but it is not in my personal budget range at this time (which is perfectly fine).
    Man, I wish I saw this back in April. MacHeist had BoinxTV in their $20 bundle. I forgot until just now that the original price is $500! You might keep an eye out for Heists and Bundles (Humble or not) in case it makes another appearance.

Anyhow, I was just researching this type of software for my wife (who doesn't own Boinx), and came across StreamFlow (mac only) and Camtasia (PC or Mac), both for $100.
  • To clarify my statement "BoinxTV Home offers one single live video source only.": If your game is running on a computer rather than on a console you actually can use BoinxTV Home to record it:

To record a video game with BoinxTV Home and make use of a Picture in Picture effect with a video camera you can use the following setup: You have a first computer running the game, and a second computer running BoinxTV with a secondary monitor attached (so you have more space on your Mac desktop). Both computers must be connected to the same network. Establish a Screen Sharing session on the BoinxTV computer to your gaming computer, so that you have the gaming-computer's screen on the desktop of the BoinxTV computer. Now you can use the "Screen Capture" source in BoinxTV (you have to add one manually in the "Source Repository" thought http://docs.boinxtv.com/sources ) to grab that portion of the screen showing the gaming computer screen. Now you are able to use two "Placer" layers to compose your video: one for the gaming computer's screen in fullscreen mode, and a second Placer above with your video camera as a source scaled down to be displayed in any corner.