›

Lagging Video

Hello!

We are currently using BoinxTV Home on a Mac to film high school announcements. The program seems to be lagging really badly. The sound barely ever matches up to the video and sometimes the video skips.

Sometimes when we are preparing to film the % in the top bar goes up above 300% (even when not doing anything) and we have to restart the whole computer to get it to work properly.

Is this a problem with our computer? Or is there a way to fix this?

Thank you!

Comments

• You need to tell us the specs of your Mac.... I think you will find that with the correct amount of memory, disk, video card... All will be fine...

Tell us more...
  • @EagleVision: As @steven mentioned the system specification is one big factor to the performance of BoinxTV. Also the complexity of your document (how many layers and which ones) is important. Are you using video footage as an opener? Please check if this its video codec is Apple Intermediate. If not, try to re-encode this video footage to Apple Intermediate Codec because it is quite light weight in terms of memory footprint and CPU performance. Also make sure to remove all unused media files from the BoinxTV document because they are eating up memory.
  • Hello,

Our computer is a Mac OSX Version 10.6.8 and has a 2GHZ Intel Core Duo Processor. It's memory is 1GB 667 MHZ DDR2 SDRAM.

I'm not too familiar with macs so I am mostly working off what my students are telling me.

When we open Boinx the rendering load percent goes up to 999 and then it won't do anything. We had a group come in and teach us how to use Boinx (Box of Light from Pennsylvania) and the format they helped us create had about 7 layers. When the program started giving us difficulty I made a new file with only 4 layers (green screen background, video feed, bottom thirds).

We have tried restarting the computer as well as emptying out files that we don't need anymore.

Today we tried copying Boinx to a flash drive to put into a different mac in our classroom. When it copied over it has a circle and slash through it (like a no-smoking sign) and says that "You cannot open this application "Boinx TV Home" because it is not supported on this architecture." when we try to open the file. Is this because we purchased it on the other computer and not the new one?

Any thoughts?
  • 1) "Not supported architecture": BoinxTV is an "Intel Only" app, so probably your "other" computers are PowerPC CPUs?

2) BoinxTV is an application that deals with lots of data (video buffers, image buffers and so on) you may need at least 4 GB of RAM, but 8 GB would be better.

3) MacOS X 10.6.8 is the oldest version we support and won't probably anymore in the future.

In conclusion I would recommend to update your hardware and your MacOS to something more powerful.