Instant Replay. Blackmagic Design..Instant Replay Hardware panel ETC

There are Multiple ways of getting multiple camera sources into Mimolive however i only know of one way to get video out (program)through a device like a play-out card e.g… BMD Mini Recorder. Is there anyway to play-out the preview screen to a display or any particular layer other than the Program to a display?
Secondly, Is there any way to do proper instant replays? I’m not referring to the replay layer as that in itself is very limited, Is there a piece of hardware i can get to do multi cam replays that works well with mimolive?

There are Multiple ways of getting multiple camera sources into Mimolive however i only know of one way to get video out ( program )through a device like a play-out card e.g… BMD Mini Recorder. Is there anyway to play-out the preview screen to a display or any particular layer other than the Program to a display?

In some instances, yes. You can pop out the preview and drag it to a secondary screen. However, currently, it doesn’t stay sticky, so if you select another layer, the preview changes.

To play out the layer stack, you can use the Syphon Video Sender layer and receive the Syphon output with the Syphon viewer app full screen on a second screen.

Lastly, some layers have built-in Syphon playout, such as the Video Switcher layer which can send the preview out via Syphon.

Secondly, Is there any way to do proper instant replays? I’m not referring to the replay layer as that in itself is very limited, Is there a piece of hardware i can get to do multi cam replays that works well with mimolive?

A “proper” replay system would record all your cameras. You could then go in and select the part you want to replay. This would be played out from the replay system via SDI or NDI or something equivalent. Of course, you can then take that output and input it in mimoLive. We’ve recently done this (with a second Mac running mimoLive as the replay system connected via NDI) for a junior football game: U15 Rhinos vs St. Pölten Invaders
(there were some networking issues which prevented the feed from the replay Mac to be smooth.)

NDI is really cool for this kind of thing because you can just capture the feed from a camera in multiple systems.

I’m not referring to the replay layer as that in itself is very limited

What features are you missing for the Instant Replay Layer?

Thank you Oliver but mimo cannot scrub through a clip in the layer stack. Neither can it quickly make in and out points to compile a multicam replay also with scrub. If I have 5 cameras in mimolive secondary computer and I’m recording all 5, how is it possible to cut parts I want from the recording of 5 cameras “in and out” then smoothly send to primary mimolive to replay without #1 Stopping the recording on secondary replay mac #2 getting the clip on the layer stack fast enough for marking in and out to “instant replay” properly.

@Achim_Boinx the current replay layer cannot replay a clip more than once over different periods of time, once the buffer gets going again the last replay is gone. The layer cannot do multiple cameras unless you have 2 instant replay layers and that get very unstable once two instant replay layers start buffering. It cannot compile a series of shots for a replay reel.

What I meant to say was that you can use any replay system you want and send the video into mimoLive. :slight_smile:

What can you suggest?

After a quick search on the web, I feel like we should build one… :wink:

NewTek is offering a system called 3Play. Ross is another vendor. All are super expensive.

WAw I rather give that Money to you guys to Develop mimolive even more

Thanks, we appreciate it. Just to explore this idea further, how much would you be willing to pay for a replay server that could record and replay 4 video sources?

I’ll have to have a talk with The Manager and get back to you.

@Oliver_Boinx a competing software vendor (I’ll not name it) offers fully functional replay for a one-off license of $1200 USD. So that should give you a guide of what people are willing to play.

Fully functional includes (but not limited to):

• DVR-like functionality that records an entire broadcast and lets you scrub through the recording of up to 4 cameras at any time in real time
  • ability to choose which camera to replay out of all that are being recorded
  • ability to instantly clip (and save clips) of various lengths
  • slow motion/normal speed/high speed playback
  • ability to export all or some clips for saving
  • ability to use custom controllers (e.g. x-keys replay controller https://xkeys.com/xk64replay.html)